Chael Sonnen knows better than most how to promote a fight and maximize his abilities. Sonnen is now setting his sights on the UFC light heavyweight title, and his first target is UFC 205-pound champion Jon Jones.
Jones will defend his title against Dan Hendersonat UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson. Sonnen and Henderson are long-time training partners at Team Quest, and Sonnen wants you to know that - despite the considerable odds facing Henderson - "Hendo" is capable of upsetting "Bones."
"I believe in 'Hendo' - and so should you," Sonnen said. "If you look at Jon Jones and think of a man who can beat him, you would think of someone with great KO power, the best chin in the sport because - with his reach - Jones is going to hit you, great wrestling and a relentlessly aggressive style. That man already exists - and his name is Dan Henderson."
Sonnen will enter the light heavyweight division in December to face former champion Forrest Griffin. While it took a second loss to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva before Sonnen offered him any respect, he does have some for Jones.
"Jones is a talented kid, but he's taking on a man, and I'd bet on the man any day of the week," Sonnen said. "Dan beat the 170-pound champion in Carlos Newton, he's won the Pride 183-pound title, the Pride 205-pound title, the Strikeforce 205-pound title, and he's won the two great tournaments in our sport: the UFC tournament back in the day and the Pride Grand Prix. All in all, he's beaten 11 world champions in his career. The man is the best of all-time. That is who Jon Jones is facing."
- Miguel Torres Announces That He Has Signed With Titan FC
- Johny Hendricks-Martin Kampmann Official For UFC 154
- Rampage Jackson Hints At Fighting Outside Of UFC After Bout With Glover Teixeira
- Seattle To Host UFC On Fox 5
- Frankie Edgar Makes Featherweight Move Official
- Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones "Will Never Fight Me"
- Chris Weidman Just Wants Anderson Silva To Give Him A Chance
- Anthony Pettis Says His Fight With Donald Cerrone "Is Happening"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.