In the latest chapter of Nick Diaz and Co. vs. Nevada, the 209 began the process of suing the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Diaz's legal team filed a lawsuit against the regulatory board on the grounds that his right to due process was violated when they took more than forty-five days to hold his disciplinary hearing after being suspended for showing marijuana metabolites in a drug test.
Via MMAFighting, Nevada attorney general Catherine Cortez Masto countered the Diaz camp's legal gambit by explaining that Diaz's suspension was not a summary suspension, but a temporary suspension; only a summary suspension carries with it a mandated hearing within forty-five days.
From Masto's counter-statement:
No Notice of Summary Suspension was ever served on your client. In this matter, Mr. Diaz was properly served with a 'Notice of Hearing on Temporary Suspension' and he failed to appear at the hearing. The Commission temporarily suspended Mr. Diaz's license at the hearing. Neither Mr. Diaz nor you objected in any manner to the temporary suspension.
As of now, both sides are moving forward -- the NSAC/Nevada attorney general with their original complaint, and Diaz's team with their attempt to fight the suspension.
- Video: Daniel Cormier, 'I Am A Fighter'
- Ryan Jimmo Vs. Anthony Perosh On For UFC 149
- Video: Wanderlei Silva's UFC 147 Vlog, Episode 2
- 'UFC Primetime' Back On FX For UFC 146
- Dana White: Nate Diaz, Not Jim Miller, Up For Title Shot
- UFC Donates UFC 149 Prize Package To Canadian Children's Charity
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Not Leaving Friday Nights, Says FX Executive
- "Ultimate Fighter" Winner Ross Pearson Arrested On Suspicion Of DUI
- Roy Nelson, Edson Barboza Given New Fights For "UFC 146"
- Video: Dana White's UFC On FOX 3 Vlog, Episode Two
- Jon Jones Just Wants Hendo To Keep It Classy
- Video: Quick UFC 146 Promo
- Francisco Rivera Steps In To Face Alex Soto At UFC On FUEL TV 3
- Nevada Responds To Nick Diaz's Lawsuit
- Video: Age And Experience Will Overcome Youth And Preparation
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.