Meanwhile, the top contender queue at 170lbs continues to fill up as fighters pick up more wins; it also loses contenders like Jake Ellenberger, who probably would have fought for the title already if such a shot were available. Condit ruffled feathers even more when he said that he would like to face Martin Kampmann next if St-Pierre isn't fully recovered by November. Johny Hendricks, the man considered by most to be at the top of the heap, took strong issue with that statement.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani for UFC Tonight recently, Condit responded to all of that criticism.
"The question that was put to me was, 'If Georges isn't ready to fight in November, who would you like to fight?' My answer to the question was Martin Kampmann. He was my first loss in the UFC -- my only loss -- my only loss in the last six years or so," Condit explained. "Not taking anything away from Johny Hendricks, he's obviously a top contender, had some great wins recently, but [Kampmann] is a more compelling fight. It's a fight that I would absolutely be motivated for, if Georges isn't ready. Georges is a guy that I have my eye on and, as far as I know, he's gonna be ready to go in November."
In regards to his decision not to defend the interim title, Condit said that he's just following his bosses' lead.
"Well, I don't make the matches," he said simply. "If the UFC wanted me to fight somebody else, they're the boss. They can ask me to fight and I would be up for it. They want me to fight Georges St-Pierre and that's who I want to fight as well, so that's what I'm gonna go with."
You can check out Condit's comments below:
- Condit Says Rematch With Kampmann More Compelling Than Bout With Hendricks
- Michael Bisping Says Chael Sonnen "Quaking In His Boots" Over Potential Rematch
- Clay Guida Thinks Finishing Gray Maynard This Friday Puts Him In Title Mix
- Rich Franklin Thinks Wanderlei Silva Will Be More Motivated For Rematch
- Rebellion MMA Radio Returns Tonight With Michael Chandler & Joe Kelly
- Titan FC 23 Results: Jorge Santiago, Joe Wilk Earn Submission Victories
- ShoFight 20 Results: Kendall Grove Tops Derek Brunson, John Gunderson Downs Karo Parisyan
- Light Heavyweight Division In Anthony Johnson's Future
- More Injuries Hamper UFC 149 As Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Out
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.