Carlos Condit knows that to be called the best welterweight in the world he needs to defeat Georges St-Pierre. So, after claiming the interim UFC welterweight title, Condit decided to wait until GSP returned from a knee injury.
The two will square off at UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit in November in Montreal. On Thursday, both fighters took part in the press conference to officially announce the event.
After defeating Nick Diaz via decision and claiming the title, Condit ignored the chatter from other 170-pounders and waited for St-Pierre. Now, "The Natural Born Killer" is focused on defeating GSP.
"My goal in this sport is to be the best in the world," Condit said. "Georges St-Pierre is the best fighter in the welterweight division. He has proven that time and time again. So, to be the best, I have to beat Georges. I feel like I did the right thing in waiting for Georges."
Condit added that he focused on improving his all-around skills and "found a lot of things in my game I needed to improve on," during his time away from fighting.
St-Pierre has successfully defended his title several times, but Condit feels his approach will allow him to finally be the one to dethrone GSP.
"I think a lot of Georges' opponents in the past looked at Georges and said this is where he's weak, this is where I can beat him; that was a mistake," Condit said. "Georges is truly the best fighter in the world and that is not the approach I am taking. My approach is to be the best I can be (come November)."
- Submission Specialist Paul Sass Wants To Be The First To Submit Matt Wiman
- Dan Henderson Would Take Fight With GSP If Offered
- UFC Planning Regular Dates For Montreal, Toronto Cards
- Matt Hughes To Remain A Member Of The UFC
- Nick Diaz Seeking Another Overturn Of Suspension
- Stefan Struve Not Worried About Getting Knocked Out By Stipe Miocic
- Bellator 74 Weigh-In Results, All Fighters Make Weight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.