Meanwhile, the top contender queue at 170lbs continues to fill up as fighters pick up more wins; it also loses contenders like Jake Ellenberger, who probably would have fought for the title already if such a shot were available. Condit ruffled feathers even more when he said that he would like to face Martin Kampmann next if St-Pierre isn't fully recovered by November. Johny Hendricks, the man considered by most to be at the top of the heap, took strong issue with that statement.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani for UFC Tonight recently, Condit responded to all of that criticism.
"The question that was put to me was, 'If Georges isn't ready to fight in November, who would you like to fight?' My answer to the question was Martin Kampmann. He was my first loss in the UFC -- my only loss -- my only loss in the last six years or so," Condit explained. "Not taking anything away from Johny Hendricks, he's obviously a top contender, had some great wins recently, but [Kampmann] is a more compelling fight. It's a fight that I would absolutely be motivated for, if Georges isn't ready. Georges is a guy that I have my eye on and, as far as I know, he's gonna be ready to go in November."
In regards to his decision not to defend the interim title, Condit said that he's just following his bosses' lead.
"Well, I don't make the matches," he said simply. "If the UFC wanted me to fight somebody else, they're the boss. They can ask me to fight and I would be up for it. They want me to fight Georges St-Pierre and that's who I want to fight as well, so that's what I'm gonna go with."
Current rumors have GSP vs. Condit tentatively scheduled for UFC 154 in Montreal this November. Kampmann and Hendricks are expected to face off to determine the next contender to the title.
- Bibiano Fernandes Out Of "UFC 149" Fight With Roland Delorme
- Joey Beltran Returns, Will Face James Te Huna At "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
- "UFC On FX 3: Johnson Vs. McCall 2" Ratings
- Erik Koch Aims To Wait It Out While Jose Aldo Recovers
- Martin Kampmann Talks Stoppage In Bout With Jake Ellenberger
- Ticket Sale Round Up: "UFC: Nottingham" And UFC 150 On Sale Soon
- "UFC: Nottingham" Set For September 29
- Demetrious Johnson Talks Victory Over Ian McCall
- Video: "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Trailer
- Carlos Condit Responds To Interim Title Criticism
- Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Said He'd "Rather Be Cut" Than Fight Glover Teixeira
- UFC Approached Rory MacDonald About Fight With BJ Penn
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.