For most heavyweights, part of the gameplan for taking on Junior dos Santos must be to establish their offense anywhere but at striking range. To do otherwise has turned out poorly for all of his opponents in the UFC so far.
But, for Frank Mir, trading shots with dos Santos will be a key part of his strategy when he takes on the champ at UFC 146 later this month. At least, that's what he tells the Orange County Register
"I'm going to go ahead and strike with him, probably more than Carwin wanted to and some of these other guys and try to lull him into lowering his striking defense. If I get him into a rhythm where it's a boxing match, it will be easier to shoot or take him down," Mir reasoned. "If you are shooting right off the bat and are grabbing a leg and that person's waiting for it, it's like any combat tactic. It's very easy to stop what you are expecting."
Though some may question this strategy, Mir has his coach Robert Drysdale's full confidence that he can hang with the Brazilian bomber on the feet. From an interview with Drysdale on the first episode of UFC Primetime: dos Santos vs. Mir:
"This is JDS' most dangerous fight because, for the first time, he's fighting a guy that can out-strike him, out-wrestle him and beat him on the ground."
What do you think fight fans? Is Frank Mir trolling us all, playing the Anthony Johnson bait and switch, or has the former champ simply accepted that striking with JDS is inevitable and he might as well prepare himself for it?
- "UFC On FUEL TV 3: Korean Zombie Vs. Poirier" Live Coverage And Results
- Bellator 70 Lineup Finalized, Features Heavyweight Title Fight
- Date Switch For Jon Fitch Vs. Aaron Simpson Bout
- Ross Pearson, George Sotiropoulos Leading Choices For "TUF: The Smashes"
- Cesar Gracie, Manager For Nick Diaz, Goes Into Great Detail To Explain Missed Appearance
- Stephan Bonnar Going Hard For Spot On "TUF" Opposite Forrest Griffin
- Former 'TUF' Winner James Wilks Retires From MMA
- Phil Davis, Chad Griggs Addded To 'UFC On FOX 4' Event
- Video: Dana White Discusses "UFC On FUEL TV 3," Ratings In Latest Blog
- Judge Denies Injunction Request By Nick Diaz's Camp
- Hendo On Jon Jones: "Anybody Can Be Hit"
- Nick Diaz To Cover Charity Donation Out Of Pocket
- Robert Drysdale: Frank Mir Can Out-Strike Junior Dos Santos
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Weigh-In Results
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.