Carly Rae Jepsen’s Call Me Maybeappears to be making a bid to become our National Pastime’s new song. Don’t think so? In this weekend’s Yankees vs. Mets three game series at Citi Field, clips of the song were played 18 times. There were only 27 innings of baseball!
According to one account, (there’s no way to verify it so won’t cite the source) this weekend, clips of the popular song were played 183 times in MLB stadiums! Whether that actual number is true or not, I wanted to puke when I read a tweet from a Seattle Mariners beat writer on Saturday that announced the San Diego Padres were playing the song during the seventh inning stretch in lieu of Take Me Out To The Ball Game!
On May 6th the Harvard Baseball Team’s Call Me Maybe You-Tube video went viral and that apparently was the start of a very bad association between baseball and the song.
It’s gone downhill from there… What happened to traditional baseball songs? There are tons of them…
- “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” – Jack Norworth
- “Centerfield” – John Fogerty
- “Glory Days” – Bruce Springsteen
- “Say Hey” – The Treniers
- “All The Way” – Eddie Vedder
- “Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball” – Woodrow Buddy Johnson
- “Talkin’ Baseball” – Terry Cashman
- “Tessie” – Dropkick Murphys
- “Cheap Seats” – Alabama
- “Joltin’ Joe DiMaggio” – Les Brown Orchestra
Heck, the National Anthem or God Bless America would do… Ca’mon Wilson, let’s go for a walk….