Cain Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion, made a statement by defeating Antonio Silva in the co-main event of UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir Saturday night. The fight came to a halt with just over a minute left following a series of uncontested shots by Velasquez to Silva.
After Silva was swept off his feet by Velasquez, the former Arizona State University wrestling standout delivered a sharp elbow that bloodied the face of Silva. The referee stepped in and had the cut checked, placing the two right back on the ground.
Velasquez wasted no time inflicting more damage on Silva, finishing the fight with a series of quick strikes to the head. This was the first fight for Velasquez since his loss to Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight belt last year.
"It feels good. It's a step in the right direction," Velasquez said. "These guys are a lot bigger than I am, so I've been working on my power and strength."
Velasquez is now 10-1 in his MMA career, including nine stoppage victories. Silva falls to 16-4 in his career.
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir Highlights
- Dana White Talks Arianny Celeste's Arrest
- Video: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva Highlights
- Dana White Hints At Brock Lesnar's Return
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller Cut From UFC
- Vitor Belfort Out Of UFC 147 With Broken Hand
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Live Gate And Attendance
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Fight Night Bonuses
- UFC 146: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir
- Frank Mir No Match For Junior Dos Santos And His Boxing
- Statement Made By Cain Velasquez With Stoppage Of Antonio Silva
- UFC 146: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio Silva
- Roy Nelson Drops Dave Herman With One Punch KO
- UFC 146: Roy Nelson Vs. Dave Herman
- Stipe Miocic Remains Undefeated, Deals Shane Del Rosario His First Career Loss In Process
- UFC 146: Stipe Miocic Vs. Shane Del Rosario
- Stefan Struve Puts His Submission Skills On Display Again Vs. Lavar Johnson
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.