Former Strikeforce heavyweight contender Brett Rogers dominated Kevin Asplund in his Bellator debut Friday night, scoring a victory at Bellator 71 in West Virginia. Rogers earned the win via TKO after the second round due to swelling of the eye of Asplund.
Rogers was released from Strikeforce after a run-in with the law following a family incident. "Da Grim" entered Bellator 1-4 with one no-contest in his last six fights.
"It was a tough fight," Rogers said. "I wanted this fight. I knew (Asplund) was going to come out. I knew how it was going to look."
Early on, Rogers used a huge belly-to-belly suplex that saw Asplund get thrown into the cage to score some big points with his heavy ground-and-pound. Rogers continued to go for the knockout, throwing several big uppercuts that just missed.
Rogers cut Asplund open late in the first round, as the doctor at cageside almost ended the bout. A huge gash was formed on the side of Asplund's head due to the heavy hands of Rogers.
In the second, Asplund used a takedown to control the action for a short time. However, Rogers reversed things and ended up on the offense yet again. He continued to hammer down as the round ended, and the doctor had no choice but to end the fight.
"The future for Bellator is I plan on getting better and better," said Rogers, who earned his first win since 2010 over Ruben Villareal.
- Super Fight League Inks Jeff Monson, Sokoudjou, Others To Contracts
- Josh Thomson Eying Summer Return To The Cage
- "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Attendance
- "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Fight Night Bonuses
- Rich Franklin Spoils Wanderlei Silva's Brazilian Homecoming
- UFC 147: Wanderlei Silva Vs. Rich Franklin
- Cezar Ferreira Earns Middleweight "TUF: Brazil" Crown
- UFC 147: Cezar Ferreira Vs. Sergio Moraes
- Rony Mariano Bezerra Becomes First "TUF: Brazil" Champion
- UFC 147: Godofredo Pepey Vs. Rony Jason
- Fabricio Werdum Crushes Mike Russow In His Return To Brazil
- UFC 147: Fabricio Werdum Vs. Mike Russow
- UFC 147: Yuri Alcantara Vs. Hacran Dias