Brendan Schaub decided to call for a match with Lavar Johnson in hopes of showing people that he does not have a weak chin. The UFC recently announced that the two heavyweights will meet in December at UFC on Fox 5.
For Schaub, coming off a pair of stoppage defeats vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Ben Rothwell, facing a knockout artist like Johnson will be quite the challenge. The Ultimate Fighter runner-up is prepared, however, to prove his critics wrong.
"Lavar hits hard. For me, yeah, people say I have a weak chin, so this would solidify my place," said Schaub, during a recent interview on UFC Tonight. "But I fight at heavyweight. Everyone hits hard (at heavyweight)."
Schaub was nearing a possible No. 1 contender match before Nogueira stopped him in Brazil. He was dropped by Rothwell earlier this year, this third UFC loss by way of knockout. By asking for Johnson, "The Hybrid" believes he is in control of his own career.
"I think it's good to control your own destiny," Schaub said. "I just throw a name out there. He's had three fights in the UFC and two Knockouts of the Night. His sole loss is to (Stefan) Struve. I think people are scared of him."
- Stephen Thompson-Besam Yousef Added To UFC 154
- Change Of Camp Has Vitor Belfort Feeling "Young" Again
- Brendan Schaub Wants To Test His Chin Vs. Lavar Johnson
- Chris Weidman More Interested In Michael Bisping-Brian Stann Winner Than Alan Belcher
- Michael Bisping Looking At Brian Stann's One Punch Knockout
- Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos Leaves Strikeforce, Set To Fight In Canada
- Regardless Of Decision Vs. Carlos Condit, Anderson Silva Wants To Fight GSP
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.