Brandon Vera, who will take on former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on UFC on Fox 4, threw out the first pitch before Thursday night's San Diego-Houston Major League Baseball game. Vera currently trains out of San Diego with Team Lloyd Irvin/Alliance MMA.
Vera will meet Rua on August 4 from Los Angeles. The contest will be the main event.
"(Throwing out the first pitch) was more nerve-wrecking than walking out to the cage to get punched in the face," Vera said. "I had never thrown a baseball before in front of anybody before (Wednesday) with my coach."
Vera was asked how he is preparing for Rua, in which he said, "training two-to-three times a day, doing ice baths, massages, hot tub, training, eating right. It sounds like a life of fun, but the training part is not fun; it's bad."
As for the pitch, it crossed home plate but was a little high from "The Truth." Vera is 12-5 in his MMA career, but has not fought since last year when he defeated Eliot Marshall.
"I threw it hard," Vera said. "It went over the plate with a lot of zip, and I was happy."
- Next Up On Ronda Rousey's Hit List: Michael Phelps
- Urijah Faber Confirms Broken Rib During Fight With Renan Barao
- Video: "UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II" Trailer
- Hector Lombard To Welterweight? Yes, Says Dana White
- Rebellion MMA Radio: Sarah Kaufman, Lyle Beerbohm
- Matt Riddle Wants Dan Hardy, But Hardy Has No Interest In Fight
- Despite Loss, Urijah Faber Plans To Remain A Bantamweight
- Re-Live Ryan Jimmo's Incredible 7-Second KO At UFC 149
- Video: Highlights From "UFC 149: Faber Vs. Barao"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.