Matthew Macklin may have suffered a second consecutive career defeat in New York on Saturday night, but promoter Lou Di Bella is confident that the Irish born fighter will have another chance at a world title:
“‘Matthew has found a home here, along with many new fans. Nor will he have to take on Superman every time he fights.”
Macklin looked set to cause a massive upset against Sergio Martinez on Saturday night after bossing the first half of their pair’s middlweight clash, before two 11th round knockdowns resulted in the Irishman’s corner throwing in the towel.
Carl Froch and Lucian Bute were in the UK this week to promote their May 26th showdown at Nottingham’s Capital FM Arena. Bute (30-0) ventures outside of Romania and Canada for the first time to face Froch who last fought in a points loss to Andre Ward last December.
A win for Froch could see a rematch in Canada later this year.
Martin Murray‘s latest attempt to win a world title has been put on hold after the St Helens fighter was refused a visa. The unbeaten contender was slated to face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in June, however the fight comes too fast for the 29-year-old to complete the necessary paperwork. Murray will now hunt out a date and an opponent on home soil.
Elsewhere, there is still no news on a new date for George Groves‘ battle with former Commonwealth Games gold medalist Kenny Anderson. Groves pulled out of the pair’s British and Commonwealth title fight last week with an injury obtained in sparring.
Rumours have circulated linking Groves to WBO title holder Robert Stieglitz, however no such fight has been announced.
Finally, and a week late, Amir Khan told Boxing Fancast that “90%” of people have told him that his December showdown against Lamont Peterson should have gone the British fighter’s way. Khan lost a split decision to Peterson and the pair clash again in Las Vegas on May 19.
Get more great boxing news and analysis over at Boxing Fancast.