Former UFC champion BJ Penn is questioning Rory MacDonald's decision to pull out of their planned fight in September at UFC 152: Benavidez Vs. Johnson. The two have since been resigned to December's UFC on Fox 5 card.
MacDonald disclosed that he suffered a deep cut over his eye and required nearly 40 stitches. Penn, however, told Sherdog.com in a recent interview that he doesn't feel like the cut is the only reason MacDonald pulled out.
"The cut is a detail but I know the reason why he pulled out is because he knew he wasn't gonna win," Penn said. "I've never heard of a guy pulling out of a fight 10 weeks early from a cut. Never in my life have I heard of a guy, 10 weeks before a fight, he got cut, he pulled out."
Penn mentioned that he had a cut on his eye prior to the Nick Diaz match from last year, but just continued to train on, adding, "Opened up from eight weeks every week all the way up to the fifth week, but did I ever think about pulling out? Not even once."
- Conflict MMA To Honor Fallen Fighter Tyrone Mims
- Randy Couture's Comeback Fight? Steven Seagal
- Shinya Aoki Now Off Next ONE FC Card, Slated For October Instead
- Junior Dos Santos Named Ambassador Of Salvador For 2014 World Cup
- Frankie Edgar Talks Move To Featherweight, Doesn't Believe Cut Would Have Issues
- Thiago Alves, Siyar Bahadurzada Push For Future Fight
- BJ Penn Believes Cut Wasn't Only Reason Rory MacDonald Pulled Out Of Scheduled Fight
- UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II Medical Suspensions Contain Champion
- Jon Jones Fires Back At Chael Sonnen, Refers To Him As "Coward," "Cheater"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline