"I am taking some time to figure it out," said Penn, while appearing on Inside MMA recently.
Penn, 34 years old, is a former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion. He has not earned a victory, though, since 2010 inside the Octagon and is 16-9-2 in his career.
UFC president Dana White seemed to believe retirement was next for "The Prodigy," but he has not been as adamant about pushing Penn towards that as he has with other fighters in the past.
- DREAM Places Inaugural Featherweight Championship Bout On NYE Card
- TUF Loser Sam Alvey Given MFC Title Shot
- Video: Highlights From This Past Friday's Bellator 84
- Dana White: Every Signed UFC Fighter Is On Twitter
- Daniel Cormier Targets Four-To-Five Fights In 2013
- The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale Salaries Released
- Patrick Cote-Alessio Sakara Rematch Off For UFC 158
- Nick Diaz On Facing GSP: "This Is The Fight I Want"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline