UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has a long ways to go, but his ultimate goal in the UFC is to become the greatest champion of all-time. To do so, he'll have to eclipse Anderson Silva's mark in terms of title defenses.
"Smooth" has caught some negative criticism from MMA fans for his comments regarding Silva and his quest to one-up the UFC middleweight champion.
"I think it's good to have goals," said Henderson, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com recently. "For some reason, I caught a lot of slack when I said I wanted to break Anderson Silva's record and people were saying, 'Oh, you're ridiculous for thinking that.'"
Henderson couldn't believe fans were mad that he had such a long-term career goal, adding, "I want to be the best ever and one of my goals is to break Anderson's record for title defenses. I'm sorry, I apologize if I offended you somehow."
Silva's mark is set at 10 successful title defenses, and he still has the belt around his waist.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.