Ben Askren (10-0) loved when Bellator signed him. That feeling has since subsided as the welterweight champion continues to wait for his next fight.
"It's been a lot of good and a little bit of bad," said Askren to Bloody Elbow. "I haven't fought in eight months now and it's just getting kind of slow and frustrating. I'm still in the gym, but there's no fight so the lack of motivation to push myself is sometimes missing."
Askren debuted for Bellator as part of their Season 2 welterweight tournament. He went on to win the tournament and then the title. He has defended it successfully twice. Askren only fought once this year at Bellator 64 and his return to action has not been announced.
"They gave me a contract when nobody else would and they gave me a bunch of fights in the beginning, so that was great," said Askren. "But I wish I was fighting a little bit more often now, and against a little bit more challenging opponents."
- Initial Ratings Strong For UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz
- Sara McMann Denies Ronda Rousey Rumor
- Tamikka Brents Flaunts Her LGBT Community Presence
- Video: Rory MacDonald Vs. BJ Penn From UFC On Fox 5
- Video: Highlights From Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Vs. Alexander Gustafsson At UFC On Fox 5
- UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz Live Gate, Attendance Figures
- Benson Henderson To Rest Of Lightweight Division: "I'm Not Going Anywhere"
- Rory MacDonald Upset He Didn't Finish BJ Penn, Discusses Carlos Condit
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.