Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has big plans for Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal when he makes his debut for the promotion.
"He's one of the most explosive fighters in MMA," said Rebney on Inside MMA. "When he is 100 percent and is knee is back, he's one of the greatest light heavyweights we've got in the game. [He's got an] incredible personality, great ambassador for the game."
Lawal, a former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, was released from the promotion due to complications from a failed post-fight drug test for the steroid drostanolone in early 2012. After Lawal met with the NSAC, he went on Twitter to complain about one of the female members who he thought mistreated him when she asked if he could read. Strikeforce released him after he tweeted the derogatory comments, despite apologizing.
He signed with Bellator in May and has been working with TNA Wrestling at the time. He's appeared twice for TNA in a non-wrestling role.
Lawal makes his debut at Bellator 86 against Przemyslaw Mysiala (16-7) in the opening round of the Season 8 light heavyweight tournament. They will meet in the co-main event from the WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, OK. The January 24 show can be seen on Spike TV with the main card starting at 10 p.m. E.T.
- Kanas City Chiefs Cheerleader Rachel Wray Joins MMA
- Yoshiyuki Yoshida Hopes For A UFC Return
- Paul Daley Denies Involvement In Bar Brawl, Visa Issues To Blame For Cancelled Fight
- Jon Jones Breaks Top-20 In ESPN's Cross-Sport Power Rankings For 2012
- DREAM - GLORY Supershow Lands U.S. TV Spot
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 155" Complete Episode
- Rematch King Frankie Edgar Weighs In On Cain Velasquez - Junior Dos Santos
- Jim Miller Critiques Recent Performances
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.