Bjorn Rebney knows that competing with the UFC is something that many people have tried to do in the past. So, instead of going head-to-head with the MMA power, Rebney wants to see his Bellator Fighting Championships promotion succeed alongside it.
Rebney, in a recent interview with SportsNet.ca, talked about what it takes to lead an MMA organization into the mainstream media. Bellator, which is currently shown live on Friday nights via MTV2, will switch over to Spike TV in 2013, replacing the UFC.
"There's no way to survive and be successful in this type of business if you're anything less than on," Rebney said. "We have no off-season. It never stops. You're constantly marketing and promoting and publicizing, selling and talking. If you're not pleasantly relentless, not aggressive in pursuit of making it bigger and better and more exciting, need five days off to do this or that, this isn't the place for you."
Rebney grew up with the UFC, as it helped turn him on to the sport. He continues to watch and learn from the promotion, but in a different way now.
"Part of it (watching the UFC) is to track what the competition is doing in terms of numbers and how people are responding and what they're doing live-wise and internationally, where their distribution is," Rebney said.
Bellator's next event will take place Friday, April 13, as Zach Makovsky defends his bantamweight title against Eduardo Dantas.
- Diego Nunes Sees Siver Fight As "Strength Vs. Speed"
- Mayhem Miller Still Going After Chael Sonnen On Twitter
- Video: Evidence Of Georges St-Pierre's Ongoing Recovery
- Bas Rutten And JDS Comment On Overeem Possibly Keeping UFC 146 Spot
- Rolles Gracie Next For Fedor?
- Jon Jones Clears The Air Regarding Statement Made On "UFC Ultimate Insider"
- "Bellator 70" Official For May 25; Will Feature Konrad Vs. Prindle, Middleweight Finals
- Video: Kenny Florian Goes Off On Fighters Who Use PEDs
- Braulio Estima Named As Opponent For Nick Diaz At "World Jiu-Jitsu Expo"
- Super Fight League Announces Bobby Lashley Vs. James Thompson For May
- Reminder: Jones And Evans To Appear On "UFC Ultimate Insider" Tonight
- CSAC Amendment Would Allow TUEs For Marijuana And TRT
- Thiago Alves Vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama Possible For UFC 149
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.