Season 8 of Bellator's lightweight tournament officially starts January 31. Bellator 87 will host the promotions return to the Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort in Mt. Pleasant, MI after appearing there this past November for Bellator 82.
"Our first event at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort was a tremendous success, so we made it a point to get back to Michigan as quickly as we could," said Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney.
Bellator 87 will host the opening rounds of the lightweight tournament with the following fights scheduled: Guillaume DeLorenzi (10-1) vs. Patricky Freire (10-4), Thiago Michel (11-3) vs. Alexander Sarnavskiy (21-1) and Lloyd Woodard (12-2) vs. David Rickels (11-1). The fourth and final matchup is expected shortly.
"This lightweight tournament live on Spike is stacked with some of the sport's most exciting finishers, so I expect another night of great fights and a packed arena," said Rebney.
The winner of the tournament wins $100,000 and a guaranteed title shot.
The main card of Bellator 87 airs on Spike TV at 10 p.m. E.T. Prelims stream at Spike.com starting at 8 p.m. ET.
- Paul Daley Arrested, Barred From Entering U.S.; Bellator Cancels January Fight
- Junior Dos Santos Doesn’t Mind Holiday Training
- UFC 155 Results And Live Coverage This Saturday, Current Card
- Program Reminder: Countdown To UFC 155 Debuts Tonight At 11 PM ET
- José Aldo Is Conflicted On His Next Move
- Dan Hardy: TUF Cast Is Becoming The Jersey Shore
- Anthony Pettis On Beating Benson Henderson
- Brad Pickett On Who Deserves The Next Bantamweight Title Shot
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.