Bellator 83 came and went, but the planned main event was pushed back due to illness. Rad Martinez (14-2) and Shahbulat Shamhalaev (11-1-1) were set to meet in the finals of the featherweight tournament, but Shamhalaev came down with food poisoning and the fight was moved to Bellator 84.
"Unfortunately, Shahbulat Shamhalaev got food poisoning and he's been throwing up most of the day," said Bjorn Rebney. "He was throwing up in the locker room. The commission saw him, and of course it's incumbent upon them to look out for the safety of the fighters."
In other action, Jessica Eye (9-1) made quick work of Zoila Gurgel (12-2) needing less than a minute to secure a submission win.
Anthony Leone's (12-5) Bellator losing streak continued with a close decision loss to Zach Makovsky's (14-4).
Bellator 83 took place from Caesars in Atlantic City, NJ. The promotion returns to action next Friday, December 14, from the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN.
BELLATOR 83 RESULTS
MAIN CARD (MTV2)
Jessica Eye wins via submission (arm-triangle choke) at :58 of Round 1
Anthony Leone def. Zach Makovsky via split decision
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
Bo Harris def. Claudio Ledesma def. Bo Harris via unanimous decision
Terrell Hobbs def. Brylan Van Artsdalen via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:07 of Round 1
Tuan Pham def. Matthew Lozano via unanimous decision
Darrell Horcher def. Chris Liguori via unanimous decision
Jimmie Rivera def. Jesse Brock via unanimous decision
Mike Wessel def. Alexei Kudin via unanimous decision
- Initial Ratings Strong For UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz
- Sara McMann Denies Ronda Rousey Rumor
- Tamikka Brents Flaunts Her LGBT Community Presence
- Video: Rory MacDonald Vs. BJ Penn From UFC On Fox 5
- Video: Highlights From Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Vs. Alexander Gustafsson At UFC On Fox 5
- UFC On Fox: Henderson Vs. Diaz Live Gate, Attendance Figures
- Benson Henderson To Rest Of Lightweight Division: "I'm Not Going Anywhere"
- Rory MacDonald Upset He Didn't Finish BJ Penn, Discusses Carlos Condit
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.