We here at RotoExperts' Xtra Point Football feel that no one, outside of the team itself, has a closer feel for what NFL teams are going to do on draft day than the local media that covers the team day in and day out. With that in mind we are working together with prominent media personalities in all 32 NFL cities having them make selections for their home team in our 2011 Media Mock Draft.
What makes process closer to real life NFL Draft than most NFL Mock Draft's is that the individuals making these selections are not worried if somebody is rising or sliding on draft boards. These respected media personalities are going to choose the player that best fits their team, similar to what happens in the NFL on draft day.
Selecting this pick was Darin Gantt, Carolina Panthers beat writer for the Rock Hill Herald/Charlotte Observer.
1) Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn Tigers- "The Panthers may not be locked into taking a QB (I think they're strongly considering [Patrick] Peterson, [Marcell] Dareus and others), but he's the one with the most potential. They're doing loads of research, and if he checks off all the boxes, he gives them their first real chance at a franchise quarterback since they took Kerry Collins in the first round of their first draft."
Selecting this pick was Woody Paige, sports columnist for the Denver Post, author, and Around the Horn panelist.
2) Denver Broncos - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU Tigers - "He is a sure thing. Team up with Champ Bailey as starting cornerbacks."
Selecting this pick was Jerry Sullivan, Senior sports columnist for the Buffalo News.
3) Buffalo Bills - Marcell Dareus, DT/DE, Alabama Crimson Tide - When made aware of the remaining prospects, Sullivan promptly just stated one word, "Dareus!"
Selecting this pick was Geoff Hobson, editor for the Cincinnati Bengals official team page.
4) Cincinnati Bengals - AJ Green, WR, Georgia Bulldogs - "#1 Receiver for a team that may say goodbye to Chad Ochocinco"
Without further ado, the Arizona Cardinals are on the clock...
Selecting the this pick is Kent Somers who covers the Arizona Cardinals and the NFL for the Arizona Republic.
5) Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M - "The Cardinals pass on a QB to take someone they hope can contribute immediately. They need a pass rusher badly".
The Cleveland Browns are now on the Clock...
Jayson Braddock is an NFL Scout / NFL Writer & NFL On-Air Personality. Jayson is also a football insider for the Dylan Gwinn show on 790 AM in Houston, TX - Listeners NOT in the Houston metropolitan area can hear Jayson on iheart radio or sports7910.com. You may email Jayson directly @ email@example.com or follow him on Twitter @ JaysonBraddock
- Top Ten 2011 NFL Draft Prospects by Positions
- 2011 NFL Mock Draft Series NFL Prospect Player Profiles
Baseball season is right around the corner and that means preparing for your Fantasy Baseball Draft. Tune in to Dr. Roto's Fantasy Baseball Podcast's LIVE on Blog Talk Radio, Thursday afternoons at 12:00 pm EST. To have your questions answered on the air call (646) 915-9367. For those of you that can't listen to the show live, we'll broadcast each show on Around the Horn Baseball as a podcast each week.
Check out these other stories.....