Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker says an Eddie Alvarez-Gilbert Melendez match for the Strikeforce lightweight title would be an excellent decision for Alvarez to make. Alvarez, the former Bellator lightweight champ, is nearing the end of his contract with the fight promotion.
"Come on over to Strikeforce," said Coker, in a recent interview with MMAFighting.com. "Let's do the Melendez fight. That would be fantastic. I think that he's a guy who is extremely talented that we would love to have in Strikeforce to fight Gilbert."
Melendez is coming off a recent victory over Josh Thomson, while Alvarez has another fight left on his current deal. He recently defeated Shinya Aoki to avenge a previous career loss.
"If he is a free agent and he is really free of any contractual relations, makes the call," Coker said. "Eddie, come on down. Let's put the Melendez fight together."
- 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale' Medical Suspensions
- Three Fights Added To UFC 150 From Denver
- Video: Outtakes From Anderson Silva's Budweiser Commercial
- Chris Clements Steps In For Alves Against Bahadurzada
- Bibiano Fernandes Set To Make UFC Debut
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Fighter Payouts
- Jon Fitch Sidelined By Knee Injury
- Report: DREAM Closes Its Doors For Good
- Video: UFC Fighters Discuss Jon Jones' Recent DUI Arrest
- Joe Stevenson To Fight For Resurrection Fighting Alliance On June 30
- Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez "Would Be Fantastic" According To Scott Coker