Alistair Overeem seemed to be on the outside looking in after all of his legal trouble with elevated levels of testosterone and his failure to secure his fight license. Now, after taking some time and getting things cleared up, Overeem appears to be back in the good graces of the UFC.
Overeem was removed from a huge pay-per-view main event fight with Junior dos Santos earlier this year. "The Reem" failed a pre-fight drug test, and was denied his fight license for one year. He is eligible to re-apply in December, and says he plans to do so, adding that he has been taking every test needed to try and clear his name.
When all of this finally went down, White was clear in his views of Overeem. He pointed out that when the UFC signed the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion, he promised he could pass any and all drug tests. Not living up to what you say doesn't place you in the good graces of White.
"Alistair did meet with me. I think he's a stud. I liked the meeting," said White, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com, "liked what he had to say, and I like the fact that he came in town, he came in the thing he walked in, I saw him walk in he was meeting Lorenzo (Fertitta), I (expletive) walked in my office and shut the door. He went downstairs and waited for 40 minutes until I called him upstairs and then came in my office like a man and nothing but respect for Alistair now."
White didn't make any promises for a title shot when Overeem is licensed again, but it appears that he has a future in the UFC still. His last fight came in December when he defeated Brock Lesnar to secure the status as No. 1 contender.
- Dana White Admits He Signed Lesnar Because He "Knew He Would Draw"
- Video: UFC 149: Faber Vs. Barao Preview
- Video: Preview For UFC On FUEL: Munoz Vs. Weidman Main Event
- Forrest Griffin Talks Running From Octagon, Why He Returned
- Anderson Silva Jokes About His Next Opponent
- Dan Henderson Ready, Willing To Stop The Jon Jones Train
- Anderson Silva Says Controversial Knee Was To The Body
- Steven Seagal Puts Final Words On Silva-Sonnen II
- UFC Adds Gracie Black Belt Gunnar Nelson
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.