Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (34-7-1-1 NC) entered the Octagon at UFC 153 in front of his home country with a big secret. After accepting the fight on just a month's notice, he got injured a week in with a fractured rib.
"Fractured my rib three weeks ago on my right side," said Nogueira on Sensei SporTV. "I went to the doctor; I took a local anesthetic to be able to train."
Nogueira defeated Dave Herman (21-5) in the co-main event of UFC 153 with an armbar submission in round two.
The win was Nogueira's first fight since his arm surgery at the end of 2011, when Frank Mir (16-6) broke the former Pride champions arm at UFC 140. With the recent loss, Herman is now 1-3 for the UFC and is on a three fight losing streak.
What's next for each fighter has not been made clear.
- Miesha Tate Disgusted By Bellator's Placement Of Zoila Gurgel
- Matt Riddle Confirms He Has Medical Marijuana Card
- Erik Koch To Return At UFC 155 Vs. Ricardo Lamas
- Carlos Condit: I'm Playing The Role Of Spoiler Again
- Ed Soares Calls CSAC Idiots Over Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante’s Suspension
- Pair Of New Fights Added To TUF Finale
- Michael Bisping Looks Ahead To A Middleweight Championship Fight
- T.J. Dillashaw And Mike Easton Added To UFC On FOX 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.