Following a convincing TKO victory vs. Tito Ortiz in late 2011, Nogueira (20-5) has been waiting in the wings for a chance to improve his stock in the 205-pound division. In Evans, he'll receive the kind of opponent that a win over can vault a fighter into title contention.
"It will be a great challenge, and these are the challenges that make me train harder," said Nogueira, in a recent interview with Sherdog.com. "I was unable to train (earlier this year) due to an injury on my knee, but challenges like this make me train harder and better; as I trained for the fight against Tito Ortiz."
Nogueira had a seven-fight win streak snapped in 2010 when he lost to Ryan Bader, and he followed that up with a defeat at the hands of Phil Davis. That marked the first losing streak of Nogueira's career.
"It must be a really great challenge," Nogueira said. "I'm at a stage in my career, with my experience in making big fights, that this will be a great bout."
Evans (17-2-1) has not fought since April, when he was bested by UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones via decision. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for "Suga."
- Lorenz Larkin's Manager Not Happy With Luke Rockhold
- Invicta FC 4 Card Released: Strawweight Champion To Be Crowned
- MFC To Crown New Lightweight Champion
- Rory MacDonald Has Future Encounter With Carlos Condit On His Mind
- Luke Rockhold Still Injured, Off January Strikeforce Card
- Dana White Disappointed About Strikeforce
- Johny Hendricks Has No Doubt Who He Wants Next
- X-Gym Trainer Knows Jon Jones' Weakness
- UFC Took Care Of Fabio Maldonado For Accepting Glover Teixeira Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.