An interesting lightweight contest is expected to take place in January, as Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis continue their feud through the holidays.
Cerrone (19-4-1) has been calling for a match with Pettis (15-2) for several months now. "Cowboy" and "Showtime" were both part of the WEC, and have went a combined 8-2 since entering the UFC - with six of those wins coming by Cerrone.
Tuesday, Pettis sent a bit of a scare into MMA fans, posting a message on Twitter that read, "Can't catch a breaking injuries (expletive) suck." Most quickly thought Pettis had suffered another setback, but he confirmed via text with MMAjunkie.com that it was just the "same injury. Taking way longer than expected to recover."
So, while Cerrone was hoping to fight again before 2012 ends, Pettis said a more realistic time frame is January. Pettis has been out since a February victory over Joe Lauzon.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.