Chris Weidman finished Mark Munoz and made the call everyone expected from Munoz, saying he wants UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Weidman caught Munoz coming in with a sharp elbow, finishing him in the second round in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman Wednesday in San Jose.
Weidman dominated the first round, using his wrestling to control his fellow wrestler for the majority of the round. "The All-American" nearly locked in a submission finish before settling for a controlling opening five minutes.
After Munoz came in looking for a big right hand, he was caught by an elbow from Weidman. The shot dropped Munoz, and Weidman jumped on him for the finish.
"I've been playing around with some elbows in practice," Weidman said. "(UFC light heavyweight champion) Jon Jons gave us a good blueprint on how to use (elbows); thank God it landed."
With the win, Weidman improved to 9-0 overall and 5-0 inside the Octagon. He owns two submission victories, two decision triumphs and the big knockout one over Munoz. So, Jon Anik asked the question: do you want Silva?
"I want Anderson Silva," Weidman said. "Every time I've had a full training camp, I've got a finish. Give me that. I'd love a shot at the man, Anderson Silva; give me a shot please."
The loss was just the second of the career by stoppage for Munoz, who was also knocked out by Matt Hamill.
"He caught me with that elbow coming in," Munoz said. "That's what happens. (Weidman) is a great competitor, props to him."
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Medical Suspensions Feature Munoz, Te Huna
- UFC On FUEL TV 4 Fighter Salaries Released; Aaron Simpson Atop The Charts
- Michael Bisping Unimpressed By Chris Weidman's Performance
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Finishes Second Among All FUEL Events
- Dana White Calls UFC 149 "Craziest Card Of All Time" In Terms Of Injuries
- Video: Dana White Offers Up His Take On Everything From Weidman To TUF: The Smashes
- UFC Improves Upon Written Drug Policy
- Georges St-Pierre To Work Boxing Next Week With Freddie Roach
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.