The UFC announced on Tuesday that the rematch everyone has been waiting for between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen will take place July 7 at UFC 148. Problems with figuring out a location in Brazil, among other things, kept the fight from taking place there.
UFC president Dana White, Silva and Sonnen were all on hand for a press conference from Rio de Janeiro. Silva defeated Sonnen in their first meeting, scoring a submission in the fifth round.
It was also announced by White that UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is likely to be placed on the Brazilian card, which is currently set for an unknown location on June 23. That card will also carry the finals of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil, Wanderlei Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, and Fabricio Werdum vs. Mike Russow.
"This is a huge global event," White said. "Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Las Vegas was the only other option. This fight will do very well (in Vegas)."
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
- Frank Mir Wants To See Alistair Overeem Receive Another Shot In UFC
- Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman Slated For Main Event Of "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
- Troubling Details Surface Surrounding Overeem's Doctor
- Gina Carano In Talks To Join Fast And Furious 6 Cast
- Ratings Roundup: UFC 145 Prelims And Bellator 66
- Video: Jim Miller Brews Beer To Relax
- Cruz Vs. Faber Stays On UFC 148 Card
- Hector Lombard's UFC Signing Imminent
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson Possible For UFC 149
- Overeem Denied License, Suspended 9 Months
- Video: Special UFC Press Conference From Brazil Discussing Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen
- Anderson Silva Vs. Chael Sonnen Now Main Event Of "UFC 148"
- Unbeaten Prospects Stipe Miocic, Shane Del Rosario To Meet At "UFC 146"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.