While Silva was able to pull a fifth round submission off, he did later reveal that a broken rib was to blame for his poor performance.
Well, on Saturday night, there was no injured rib and "The Spider" survived a first round attack by Sonnen to register a second round finish, earning his 10th title defense inside the Octagon at UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.
"Chael came prepared, he came flying out and did what he does best which is take me down," Silva said. "I was prepared for that. The difference was I was not hurt this time."
Silva started to finish Sonnen on the feet, landing several big blows that knocked the challenger down. After hitting him with a knee to the chest, Silva jumped on top and put the final touches on him for the victory.
- Dana White Admits He Signed Lesnar Because He "Knew He Would Draw"
- Video: UFC 149: Faber Vs. Barao Preview
- Video: Preview For UFC On FUEL: Munoz Vs. Weidman Main Event
- Forrest Griffin Talks Running From Octagon, Why He Returned
- Anderson Silva Jokes About His Next Opponent
- Dan Henderson Ready, Willing To Stop The Jon Jones Train
- Anderson Silva Says Controversial Knee Was To The Body
- Steven Seagal Puts Final Words On Silva-Sonnen II
- UFC Adds Gracie Black Belt Gunnar Nelson
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.