Earlier today, Alistair Overeem's manager explained confidently that his client has a perfectly reasonable explanation for the 14:1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio he registered on a random drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
His words, along with persistent internet rumors, had many thinking Overeem would attempt to slip through the TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) loophole in order to get licensed in Nevada and go through with his UFC 146 bout against Junior dos Santos. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer told CagePotato shortly afterward that Overeem will likely have a harder time getting licensed than he seems to think. Kizer also said it's unlikely Overeem will be going the TRT defense route.
They've asked for no additional testing. I have talked with Overeem's attorney and that issue has not been raised. He has not indicated what [Overeem's] defense will be, but he has not said to me, as I'm sure he would have if he was using it, that [Overeem] is on TRT. That is not to say that they could not still make that case and ask for a therapeutic use exemption for TRT, but if they do, I'd be as shocked as the next person.
We'll all see what they do when April 24th comes around. It is going to be a very tough hearing for Mr. Overeem, to say the least. This is a lot different and a lot tougher [than Overeem's last licensing hearing] come April 24th. What happened [before] is going to be very relevant. But the biggest relevancy to the commission's decision this time will be what happened in March.
One day, we'll be talking about fighting again and not testosterone replacement therapy. Until then, stay tuned for the dramatic conclusion to Overeem vs. the NSAC.
- Video: Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win At Australian MMA Event
- BJ Penn And Jens Pulver Predict UFC 145 Winner
- UFC On FUEL TV 2 Medical Suspensions
- Roland Delorme In For Injured Johnny Bedford At UFC On FOX 3
- Chael Sonnen Comes To Alistair Overeem's Defense
- Shinya Aoki Has No Regrets About Breaking Bones, Set To Meet Eddie Alvarez Friday Night
- Recently Released Alexis Vila Targets Spot In UFC's Flyweight Division
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 145" Complete Episode
- Video: Rashad Evans Interview
- Chuck Liddell Calls Jones-Evans Odds "Ridiculous"
- "UFC 144: Edgar Vs. Henderson" Drug Test Results
- Overeem's Team Has Explanation For Test. Ratio, But It's Not TRT
- "UFC On FUEL TV 2: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Ratings
- Video: Rashad Evans, "Georgia On My Mind"
- Revisit Greasegate And More In Dana White's UFC 94 Vlog
- Kenny Florian Voices Support For King Mo
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.