Alexander Volkov earned a decision victory over Richard Hale Friday night in the main event of Bellator 84, becoming the new heavyweight champion. The belt was vacated when Cole Konrad announced his retirement earlier this year.
Volkov earned 49-46 scores on all three cards to secure the victory.
The planned co-main event between Marcin Held and Dave Jansen was postponed after the Indiana commission ruled Held could not compete as they do not sanction anyone under 21 to step inside the cage.
Alexander Volkov def. Richard Hale via unanimous decision to become Bellator heavyweight champion
Daniel Vizcaya def. Jack Hermansson via split decision
Felice Herrig def. Patricia Vidonic unanimous decision
Louis Taylor def. Joe Vedepo via knockout (punch) in Round 1
Christian Uflacker def. Cliff Wright via unanimous decision
Jerald Williams def. Joey Diehl via unanimous decision
Anthony Gomez def. Anton Talamanates via submission at 3:30 of Round 1
Robert White def. Kenny Booker via unanimous decision
- Georges St-Pierre Not Thinking About Retirement At All Right Now
- TUF Winner Colton Smith Targets Potential Move To Lightweight
- Jamie Varner Disappointed He Didn't Get To Face Melvin Guillard This Weekend
- Daniel Cormier To Join Fuel TV Coverage For UFC 155
- Ryan Couture Wonders If The UFC Wants Him On Their Roster
- Andrei Arlovski Returns To Russia For The First Time In A Decade
- GSP Credits Benson Henderson With Blueprint To Defeating A Diaz Brother
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.