Rousimar Palhares tried and tried to record another heel-hook submission victory Saturday night, but Alan Belcher was having none of it. Belcher survived several Palhares submission attempts before ending the fight late in the first round at UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller.
"The Talent" improved to 18-6 with the TKO victory, winning his fourth straight. Belcher last loss via split decision to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100 back on 2009. Injuries have kept Belcher from fighting more than once in the last three years.
Palhares (14-4) had won 10 victories by submission and it seemed like he had another locked up when the fight went to the ground. Belcher used his excellent submission defense, though, and fought the attempts off.
"All this (on the ground) was standard procedure," Belcher said. "I've been doing that throughout training camp. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it."
Belcher has now earned stoppage victories in each of his last five wins, including two by TKO and three via submission. Palhares has his three-fight win streak snapped.
- Dana White Credits Donald Trump With UFC Return To Atlantic City
- Brian Stann Vs. Hector Lombard To Main Event "UFC On FOX 4"
- UFC Thinking About Another Possible Comeback Season For "TUF"
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode Recap: Wanderlei Earns A Win
- "Super Fight League 3" Results: James Thompson Tops Bobby Lashley
- Roger Gracie To Make Middleweight Debut Vs. Keith Jardine At Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Discusses His Next Opponent UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos
- Not Even Illness Could Take Johny Hendricks Down
- Nate Diaz Happy To Rest Up Before Title Shot
- Hendricks Vs. GSP A "Pretty Interesting Fight" To UFC Pres
- Dana White Says The Diaz Bros. Fight Like No One Else
- Frankie Edgar Assesses "Stud" Nate Diaz's Big Win
- Dana White Says Alan Belcher Earned Top 5 Spot In Victory
- Josh Koscheck: "(Hendricks) Had Luck On His Side Tonight"
- "UFC On FOX 3: Diaz Vs. Miller" Gate And Attendance
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.