Continuing on our LSU theme we will now take a look at the other half of the best Defensive End tandem in college football, Sam Montgomery.
Like his counterpart Barkevious Mingo, Montgomery is also long and explosive. Although Montgomery currently plays Defensive End for the LSU Tigers he’s projected as an Outside Linebacker at the next level in a 3-4 scheme; unless he can add more overall bulk.
- LSU Tigers
- 260 lbs.
- Long prospect, ideal arm length
- Good athlete, good lateral quickness
- Good strength
- Exhibits proper balance
- Stout at POA (Room to improve)
- Excellent get off the LOS (Line of scrimmage)
- Displays good explosion
- Shows the ability to bend and run circle
- Good closing burst to QB
- Exhibits a great motor (Relentless)
- Demonstrates ideal pad level
- Proper hand placement
- Delivers a good initial blow
- Displays the ability to get skinny while stunting
- Physical while attacking spill blocks
- Needs to add more overall bulk
- Lacks a pass rushing arsenal
- More consistency in his violence when disengaging
- Needs to attack half man more
- Would like to see him work on his post arm
- Needs to bring arms and drive his legs upon the tackle
After reviewing film on Montgomery I was surprised how solid he was at the POA (Point of Attack), although at times he could improve. Currently Montgomery is a sounder prospect than his counterpart Barkevious Mingo. I would rank Mingo higher due to the fact that he’s a phenomenal athlete with a higher ceiling, however that in no way takes away from Montgomery. Not only do I have a first round grade on Montgomery but as of now I anticipate him being drafted in the top 10 of next year’s NFL Draft.
Trey Randall is the Director of Player Personnel for the Eastern Kentucky Drillers, Arena Football and the Co-Owner/Director of Operations for Gridiron Scouting Southwest. A former Division I college football player Trey also hold a position as a Scout for the Players All-Star Classic College Bowl Game. You may contact Trey directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter @TreyRandall1