With another week in the books, certain college football stars effectively inserted themselves into or, took themselves out of the hunt for a 2011 Heisman award.
The Heisman race is beginning to take shape with one player the clear leader after five weeks. Andrew Luck, the preseason favorite for the award, continues a stellar season that has him in position to make a run over the long haul. Case Keenum is another player who could start to creep up Heisman ballots as the season goes on. And don’t forget about LaMichael James, who could reenter the top five with another big performance.
- Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin Badgers: Is there any question at this point that Wilson is the Heisman leader? He just keeps making big plays and has the Wisconsin offense looking even better than it looked last year.
- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor Bears: Tough loss for Griffin and the Bears, but he continues to put up very good numbers and just threw his first interception on Saturday. He’s thrown 18 touchdown passes this year and has a completion percentage of 82.3%.
- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU Tigers: Mathieu does it all to help the Tigers win. He’s recovered three fumbles this season, taking two back for touchdowns, is a contributor on special teams, and he leads a very good Tigers defense with 35 tackles. He’s simply a playmaker.
- Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State Broncos: Moore didn’t light up any scoreboards over the weekend, but his performance thus far has been one of the best. He completed 63.5% of his passes for 142 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions Saturday afternoon.
- Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma Sooners: Back-to-back 400+ yard performances have Jones cracking the top five. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares against the Texas defense this Saturday, but if his play thus far is any indication he should be just fine.
In the hunt:
- LaMichael James, RB, Oregon Ducks
- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford Cardinal
- Case Keenum, QB, Houston Cougars
- Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State Cowboys
- Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks
- Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan Wolverines
- Lamar Miller, RB, Miami Hurricanes
- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina Gamecocks
Danny Hobrock is our College Football Editor. Danny's writing on College Pigskin has garnered national attention and has been critically acclaimed. You may email Danny directly @ email@example.com or follow him on Twitter @DannyHobrock