Skip to main content

Dog Dies After Eating Brownie, Then Owners Realize What Was Inside Of It

4 (1)

If you’re a dog lover, then this story might break your heart. Not only are the images so sad, but the story itself will bring tears to many readers’ eyes. Because this pooch, who was a Hungarian Vizsla, accidentally ate some brownies, her life quickly became imperiled. Her name was Ruby, and in the images, you can see the poor dog clinging to life while on life support before she died after eating the product that contained the sweetener Xylitol.

Ruby didn’t know that the brownies contained Xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs. The chemical, which acts as a sweetener in many common products you probably have in your pantry, can induce liver failure in canines.


It didn’t take Ruby long to feel the effects of the chemical. Within 36 hours of eating it, she was severely ill. Then over the next week, she passed away.

Owner, 51-year-old Kate Chacksfield was broken-hearted after Ruby passed away on October 18, 2018. It happened eight days after she first started experiencing symptoms.

Although the dog owner shelled out about $13,000 to give Ruby the best care available, it did not matter. The sweetener was just too powerful and ended the dog’s life.

Kate is not angry at the veterinarian for being unable to rescue Ruby from liver failure. She is angry at herself for not knowing that Xylitol was dangerous to dogs. Now she is on the forefront of an awareness campaign designed to alert other dog owners that natural sweeteners like the chemical in the brownies can be harmful – and even deadly – to man’s best friend.

Kate works for Acton in West London. She serves as a media and presentation coach.


“I only made brownies with Xylitol to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating. But while I was out, Ruby managed to get into the container off the side in the kitchen and ate a couple. She seemed fine at first, and it wasn’t until a couple of days later she began being violently ill and I took her to the vet.”

Kate wanted to help her pooch survive, and if she’d know about the doggie-dangers of Xylitol, she would have taken her to the vet immediately after the pooch consumed the batch of brownies.

“I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs. The photos of her on life support still make me cry.”

And they’re making millions of viewers online across the globe tear us as well.


“We’ve had her since she was a puppy, and I’m completely lost without her.”

Because Ruby had stolen brownies before, Kate didn’t think it was dangerous. Her size was pretty big, so Kate didn’t think that it would harm her. She’d snuck some chocolate before, and the vet told Kate that small amounts wouldn’t hurt a dog as big as her.

However, this time was different. Soon she became very sick.

“Ruby began being violently sick, so I rushed her to the vets so sent her home after checking her over. But soon after she collapsed and we took her back as soon as possible. It was then they started treating her for rat poison because of symptoms.”

Sources: Metro / Photo Credit: Post Image

Popular Video