Teenager Commits Suicide After 'Relentless Bullying'


After suffering from "relentless bullying," a teenager has reportedly taken her own life.

Destiny Gleason, a 14-year-old student at Black Hawk Middle School in Warrenton, Missouri, reportedly committed suicide after enduring months of bullying from a group of classmates at her new school.

On April 20, she hung herself from a pull-up bar in her bedroom. The day before, the bullying she endured took its final toll on the 14-year-old: Destiny participated in a fight, was taken away from the schools in handcuffs, and was charged with assault.

Her family moved to Warrenton during the summer of 2015. She enrolled in Black Hawk Middle School that fall, and the bullying started soon after.

"She just wanted everybody to like her, that`s all she wanted," Stephanie Clark, Destiny’s mother, told KTVI.

According to a GoFundMe account established for the family, a group of girls were jealous of Destiny and did whatever they could to make her life unbearable.

"At one point they took some photo of some random person`s private parts and put Destiny`s name across it and spread it around the school," her mother told KTVI. "Anything they could possibly do to hurt her and bring her down."

Although school officials were aware of the bullying, they did little to help, according to Destiny’s parents.

"We tried to be there for her as much as possible and do everything that we possibly could," Kurtis Clark, Destiny's stepfather, said. "It would have been nice if somebody else would have too, instead of just saying we are going to talk to them, or we had a talk with them and telling them not to talk to each other.”

After the fight at school, Destiny was charged with assault and was supposed to start intensive behavioral therapy the following day. After reading "mean" comments about her on Facebook about the fight, she went to her bedroom to hang herself.

Destiny was found by her father on the morning of April 20, took her last breath on her own on April 22, and was pronounced dead the following day, according to the GoFundMe page.

"Words matter," Stephanie told KTVI. "That old saying, `sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me,' well, they will and we lost our daughter because of words."

As of April 27, the GoFundMe page set up for Destiny's family has raised over $4,700 of its $50,000 goal. The funds will reportedly be used to help the family pay off Destiny's medical bills.

Sources: KTVI, GoFundMe / Photo Credit: GoFundMe

Popular Video