Hoverboard Bursts Into Flames Inside Washington State Mall (Video)


A battery-powered hoverboard caught fire after it overheated inside the Outlet Collection mall in Auburn, Washington, on Dec. 8. Kelli Steiner, a bystander, caught the moment on her cellphone (video below).

“For no reason, it just exploded,” Steiner told KIRO. “And not just a little fire, exploded. Like combusted, the whole thing."

In Steiner's video, mall employees are seen using fire extinguishers on the riding board. The smoke reportedly set off alarms, and shoppers were temporarily evacuated from the mall.

“The smoke was real bad, and it was a toxic smell,” Steiner said.

The maker of the exploding hoverboard has not been revealed, but ABC News notes two other instances of exploding hoverboards.The National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) has also reportedly issued an advisory warning about the incidents not being unique occurrences.

"If you buy these devices, make sure that they have been tested by a reputable testing firm," Chief Butch Browning, president of the NASFM, said, according to ABC. "So be cautious about maybe purchasing them over the Internet, purchasing them directly from overseas."

Sources: KIRO, ABC News / Photo Credit: Kelli Steiner/ABC News Screenshot

Popular Video