A Florida couple dining at a Waffle House were horrified when they say they found a dead frog among the ice cubes in a glass of ice water. They have filed a complaint with the state and received an apology from the restaurant (video below).
On Nov. 5, Claire Sheats and her husband visited a Waffle House restaurant in Tallahassee, Florida. The couple ordered glasses of water while waiting for their meals.
Sheats' husband took several sips of his water before noticing it wasn't just ice clinking in the glass
"In my husband's drink, there's a whole frog, just floating around in the water," Sheats told WCTV.
The couple spooned out the contents of the glass of water and watched in disgust as water, ice and the dead amphibian spilled out onto the tabletop.
"Sure enough, there's the frog," Sheats recalled.
The Waffle House staff were shocked to learn of the dead frog and speculated that the dead frog had been unknowingly stored and fished out of the ice machine.
"Yeah, that's where I just got it out of, the ice thing," an employee stated during a video recording of the incident, according to WTVT.
Another employee apologized to the couple in a manner that Sheats found unsatisfactory. She filed a complaint with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
"We were served a WHOLE FROG in our ice water at Waffle House today," Sheats wrote in her complaint, according to USA Today. "The waitress brought our drink over and my husband sipped on it before noticing the frog floating the glass. We brought it to the attention of the employees and manager, then promptly left the restaurant."
On Nov. 9, a DBPR inspector checked the Waffle House and found 13 issues, three of which he gave high-priority warnings. A subsequent visit found the restaurant had complied with nine of the warnings and addressed all three priority concerns.
On Nov. 16, Sheats disclosed that a Waffle House regional manager had called her and her husband to offer a personal apology. Waffle House spokesperson Pat Warner released a statement addressing the dead frog.
"We are concerned about this claim and are currently investigating the circumstances. ... Serving quality food and delivering a quality experience are responsibilities we take seriously, and we will continue to review this matter."
Sheats signaled that she and her husband would not return to the Waffle House anytime soon.
"My husband and I have always enjoyed Waffle House," Sheats said. "But, being that that happened, it kind of puts a bad taste in your mouth ... We hope this prevents any future amphibian encounters for other customers."