On Feb. 22, Brianna Olivas tweeted a video (below) of her rose gold iPhone 7 Plus smoldering.
Olivas included a caption with the video: "So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning ... was not even using it, literally no explanation for this."
In the video, the 18-year-old woman is heard saying: "Dude, what the f***? Are you f****** serious right now?"
The Arizona teen told Gizmodo that she took the iPhone to a Sprint store on Feb. 21, the day before it began inexplicably smoking, because it would not turn on.
According to Olivas, the Sprint employee said the iPhone "looked weird when it turned on," but a diagnostics test determined it was OK.
Olivas told Mashable that her iPhone worked correctly until the next day:
The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went [into] the restroom ... and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise.
By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom ... as soon as he threw it in the restroom [it] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.
Olivas gave her iPhone over to Apple, which is running tests on it.
An Apple spokesperson said in a statement to Gizmodo: "We are in touch with the customer and looking into it."
Apple immediately replaced her iPhone, but Olivas told Gizmodo that the incident has been stressful for her.
"All of this has been causing me really bad anxiety," she said. "It’s not severe, but my anxiety has never been this bad. My mother is involved and right now she’s just worried about making me feel better."
Olivas' Twitter video has been watched more than 1.26 million times and received over 18,000 retweets.
One online theory suggests her liquid-filled iPhone case may have caused the meltdown.