'Access Hollywood' Hosts: Trump Tape 'Is Very Real'

Author:
Publish date:
'Access Hollywood' Hosts: Trump Tape 'Is Very Real' Promo Image

The hosts of "Access Hollywood" have responded to reports that President Donald Trump said the infamous tape of Trump and former "Access Hollywood" host Billy Bush making lewd comments about women was "not authentic."

"Access Hollywood" hosts Kit Hoover and Natalie Morales rejected Trump's reported statements on the air, according to Uproxx.

"We wanted to clear something up that has been reported across the media landscape," said Morales. "According to The New York Times, President Trump told two people that the 'Access Hollywood' bus tape, the one where he bragged about grabbing women by the you know what, is fake."

"Let us make this perfectly clear," continued Morales, "the tape is very real, remember his excuse at the time was 'locker room talk?' He said every one of those words."

In the tape, originally recorded in 2005, Trump and Bush made a number of obscene comments regarding women, including an infamous line where Trump claimed to "grab [women] by the pu**y," stating that he got away with inappropriate touching because of his fame, according to The New York Times.

Image placeholder title

"I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her," Trump says in the captured audio. "You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful -- I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything."

"Whatever you want," replies Bush in the recording.

"Grab 'em by the pu**y. You can do anything," Trump responds.

The rest of the tape includes Trump and Bush speaking with actress Arianne Zucker, asking her which one of them Zucker would rather date. In the recording, Trump also speaks about trying to have sex with a married woman.

When the recording leaked in October 2016, Trump apologized for the comments, calling them "locker room talk," and said that Bill Clinton had "said far worse to me on the golf course," according to The Independent.

Image placeholder title

"Not even close," Trump said, adding: "I apologize if anyone was offended."

In a Nov. 25 New York Times report on Trump's defense of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, whose campaign is battling allegations that Moore sexually harassed or sexually assaulted multiple underage girls while in his 30s, the Times revealed that Trump had claimed more than once that the "Access Hollywood" tape had been faked. According to the Times, the president had told a senator earlier in 2017 that the tape was fake, and said the same to an advisor later in the year.

When asked about the issue during a Nov. 27 press briefing, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders addressed the question without fully clarifying whether Trump believes the tape was inauthentic, Time reports.

"Look, the president addressed this," Sanders said. "This was litigated and certainly answered during the election by the overwhelming support for the president and the fact that he's sitting here in the Oval Office today."

Sanders was also asked whether Trump's apology in 2016 meant that he believed the tape was real.

"No," answered Sanders. "Like I just said, the president hasn't changed his position. I think if [there is] anything that the president questions, it's the media reporting on that accurately."

Sources: The New York Times (2), Independent, Uproxx (2), Time / Featured Image: Gage Skidmore/Flickr / Embedded Images: WishIllinois/Flickr, Non Event/Flickr

Popular Video