Some would say 2017 was a relatively bad year. Of course, it was probably a good year for some people. But 2017 had a lot of negative news stories, including stories about innocent people dying, human trafficking and natural disasters. To lighten the mood, here are some of the feel-good stories of the year.
1. Scientists successfully regenerated sections of the Great Barrier Reef.
2. When Amazon’s new headquarters is completed, it will include a shelter for 200 homeless people.
Source: The New York Times
3. The snow leopard has been taken off the endangered species list.
Source: Science Alert
4. The World Health Organization announced that HIV/AIDS is no longer the leading cause of death in Africa.
Source: World Economic Forum
5. Honey bee populations have rebounded, increasing by 27 percent since 2016.
6. Boy Scouts of America opened its membership to transgender boys.
Source: Karen Roach/Shutterstock
7. Emmerson Mnangagwa became the president of Zimbabwe, succeeding Robert Mugabe in a democratic election.
Source: All Africa
8. England's Prince Harry got engaged to former actress Meghan Markle and the couple are planning a royal wedding.
9. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg received an honorary degree from Harvard University after dropping out in 2004.
10. Legislation was passed in Australia allowing same-sex couples to marry.
11. Emmanuel Macron, 39, became the president of France, beating right-wing candidate Marine Le Pen.
12. Tennis star Serena Williams won the Australian Open, and she did it while pregnant.
13. 2017 had the largest protest in American history, which was inspired by President Donald Trump’s election.
14. NASA discovered new exoplanets capable of sustaining life, reminding us that we are not alone.
15. Twins joined at the skull were separated by surgeons in landmark operation in India.
Source: One India