Did Two Pastors Use Same Personal Anecdote? (Video)


A video (below) has surfaced showing two pastors using a very similar personal anecdote about how they proved the existence of God while debating atheists at universities.

According to the Friendly Atheist, Pastor Glyn Barrett (pictured) of the !Audacious Church in Manchester, England, recently told his story, which resembled an account told by Pastor Mark Finley some years earlier.

A video of the two versions was edited together by !Audacious Lies, a website that says it is "Addressing The Pastoral Crisis at !Audacious Church."

!Audacious Lies notes that when Barrett's version was questioned, he attempted to delete the video of his message, which was reposted by the Friendly Atheist.

While some of the details and phrasing are different, both men recall being invited to universities to debate the existence of God with atheists. Both pastors compared their debate situations to a lamb in a dire situation. The argument used by Barrett and Finley is that people currently know very little of the universe's cumulative knowledge, which leaves an enormous amount of unknown knowledge.

They both recalled how they asked their debate opponents if it were possible that god could exist within the vast unknown knowledge, which elicited laughter and applause from both their audiences. The pastors each recalled how they told their opponents that they were really agnostics and not atheists.

This line of apologetics was also noted in the Reddit True Atheism forum in October 2015:

I've seen this one come up a few times, and I know it's complete bulls--- I just don't now how to counter it.

So here's what it is:

Christian asks you to give a quantity of how much you know out of everything [there] is to possibly know. Obviously you don't know everything, so you say 1% of all knowledge, and that's being generous and simplistic. So the christian says "well, isn't it possible that knowledge of God exists in the rest of that 99%?" and this just annoys the s--- out of me. Any help?

One Reddit user replied: "Its an argument from ignorance here's what they are saying.... We dont know everything. Therefore X is possible. Therefore belief in X is reasonable. Replace X with anything you want."

Sources: Friendly Atheist, !Audacious LiesReddit / Photo credit: !Audacious Lies/YouTube

Popular Video