Skip to main content

William Colton Millay Sentenced to 16 Years in Prison for Espionage

Alaska-based military policeman William Colton Millay was sentenced to 16 years in prison after he sold secrets to an undercover FBI Agent he believed was a Russian spy.

The 24 year old will be dishonorably discharged.

Millay, a native of Owensboro, Ky., was 22 when he was charged with attempted espionage and communicating military information. He pleaded guilty to charges last month.

The image of Millay, which military prosecutors painted, was that of a white supremacist who was down on the Army and his country, a man willing to give secrets to the enemy without regard for the lives of his fellow soldiers.

In 2011, Drew Bramschreiber, Millay’s longtime friend from Owensboro, said Millay didn’t fit the profile of a spy. "He's just a simple country boy," he said. "He was never the kind of guy who would get into trouble."

Millay’s attorney claimed his emotionally stunted client was simply seeking attention and could be rehabilitated.

Millay came to the attention of the FBI in 2011, when he emailed a Russian publication asking about the military and also made calls to the Russian Embassy.

"That's a concern for national security," said FBI Special Agent Derrick Chriswell.

Millay told an undercover FBI agent that he worked for the Russian government and would re-enlist if they made it worth his while. He claimed he had confidential information on the Warlock Duke jamming system the U.S. uses to counter IEDs.

Chriswell testified that during his first meeting with an undercover agent, Millay “expressed his disgust with the U.S. military.” He was later recorded on tape in the agent’s hotel room.

Two days later, Millay told his commander that a Russian spy had contacted him, but prosecutors said it was a ploy to throw off suspicion. When interrogated, Millary withheld information the FBI had on tape.

Later on Oct. 21, 2011, Millay left a white envelope containing information about the jamming system and the F-22 stealth fighter jet in a garbage can. He then collected $3,000, he believed was in exchange for secrets, and a disposable cellphone at a hotel.

Chriswell testified that Millay has racist tattoos on his body, two Nazi SS thunderbolt symbols.

"He branded himself in their symbols of hate," military prosecutor Capt. Stewart Hyderkhan said in his closing statement. "He had hate for the Army. He had hate for the United States."

"I know I've made a terrible mistake," Millay said Monday in court. "I'm a U.S. soldier, and that piece of me, I'm proud of."

Sources: Huffington Post, CNN


Popular Video