Skip to main content

Trump's Border Wall Not Popular With Arizona Voters

New polling indicates that GOP nominee Donald Trump’s signature campaign proposal, constructing a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, is unpopular in Arizona, a state that has been deeply impacted by illegal immigration.

On Oct. 23, a new Reuters/Ipsos poll found that the majority of Arizona residents are decidedly against Trump’s proposed border wall.

Forty-seven percent of Arizona residents deemed the wall to be a waste of money while only 34 percent thought it would be an effective barrier and worthwhile endeavor. The remaining 19 percent of respondents were indifferent to Trump’s signature agenda.

The survey found that self-identifying Arizona Republicans were much more likely to favor Trump’s proposed border wall: 57 percent called it an effective barrier while only 21 percent thought it would be a waste of money.

Wendy Cornacchio of Phoenix, a self-identified Trump supporter, agrees with the business mogul that unchecked immigration is an issue but does not agree with his solution.

“I don’t think that necessarily building a wall will work, but the concept of closing the borders I agree with,” Cornacchio told Reuters.

The reliably red state of Arizona could turn blue this year. Aggregating the last four state polls released since Sept. 8, RealClearPolitics found that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton currently leads a four-way race in Arizona by an average of 1.3 percentage points.

If Clinton takes Arizona, it would be only the second time that the Grand Canyon State has sided with a Democratic nominee in over 60 years.

FiveThirtyEight, the polling website spearheaded by statistician Nate Silver, currently gives Clinton a 51.2 percent chance of capturing Arizona while Trump has a 48.8 percent chance.

Trump’s proposed border wall and his hardline stance on illegal immigration helped propel his campaign to the top of the GOP primary slate. Recent surveys have indicated that while Trump’s immigration policies are popular among Republican voters, they do not sit right with the majority of Americans.

On Sept. 7, a CNN/ORC poll found that roughly 60 percent of likely voters are against the proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border while 74 percent were unconvinced by Trump’s pledge to prod Mexico into paying for its construction, CNN reports.

Trump’s immigration proposals are far less popular in the general election than they were during the GOP primary. Previous data indicates that this is because Republican voters are simply more opposed to immigration overall than other Americans.

On July 17, an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found that while 56 percent of overall voters believe that immigration is a net positive for the U.S., 55 percent of Republican voters believe that it hurts more than it helps.

In that survey, 52 percent of overall voters said that President Barack Obama’s immigration policies were mainstream while only 40 percent could say the same about Trump’s approach.

Sources: FiveThirtyEight, CNNNBC News, RealClearPoliticsReuters via Business Insider / Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore/Flickr

Popular Video