Skip to main content

Trump Polling At Zero Percent Black Voters (Video)

  • Author:
  • Updated:

Black voters aren't excited by what Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has to say.

The GOP nominee has made a push toward black voters in recent days and cited the high levels of poverty, crime and unemployment in the black community as proof that Democratic policies have failed and they should try something new, such as him.

But Public Policy Polling indicates the pitch hasn't worked well, and Trump is at a jaw-dropping 0 percent among black voters, according to liberal commentator Rachel Maddow of MSNBC (video below).

The official poll results had not yet been released, but Maddow said 97 percent of black voters polled said they viewed Trump as “unfavorable” while the remaining 3 percent were undecided. According to Maddow, Trump was less popular than bedbugs, middle seats on an airplane and disgraced Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte.

It's not clear of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton was also less popular then bedbugs.

Some black commentators have criticized Trump for talking about economic problems within the black community. Although 27 percent of the black population -- and 38 percent of black children -- are in poverty, according to Pew Research, CNN commentator Angela Rye said black poverty is a subject that doesn't need to be talked about.

“I'm not impoverished, and I have several middle class friends who are doing well in this country,” Rye said, reported NewsBusters.

According to a 2010 study by the Insight Center for Community Economic Development, the average median wealth for a single black woman is $100, reported Democracy Now.

But others have said that although the situation is dire for many black people, Trump's message is insincere.

“I hear him not talking to black people, but talking to white people about black people so they will think he cares about black people,” Alexis Scott, a former publisher of The Atlanta Daily World, a black-owned newspaper, told The New York Times. “The real thing that he’s trying to do is to try to protect some of the white vote by suggesting to them that he cares.” 

Sources: MSNBC via YouTube, NewsBusters, Pew Research, Democracy Now, The New York Times / Photo credit: Michael Vadon/Flickr

Popular Video