Skip to main content

Trump Under Fire For Not Denouncing NYC Racist Attack

On March 20, a self-identified white supremacist from Maryland stabbed an innocent black man in New York City 24 hours before turning himself in.

Timothy Caughman, a 66-year-old black man, fell victim to a terror attack on the streets of New York City, and President Donald Trump is facing a wave of backlash for not saying a word about it.

According to The Washington Post, James Harris Jackson, a 28-year-old Army veteran, had taken a Bolt Bus from Baltimore to New York City with the intent to kill black men -- and he succeeded.

While New York was having a security frenzy following the London terror attack, The Independent reported, state officials managed to address the local hate crime that occurred.

Elite Daily reported that New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called the attack "an assault on what makes this the greatest city in the world: our inclusiveness and our diversity."

"Now it’s our collective responsibility to speak clearly and forcefully in the face of intolerance and violence -- here or across the country," he added in his public statement.

Similarly, Democratic New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said: "Not only must we repudiate this attack, but we must continue to deny that the ideas behind this cowardly crime have any place in democratic society."

With hate crimes increasing since Trump's election in November of 2016, Elite Daily's senior politics writer, John Haltiwanger, expressed frustration that our New York-native president has yet to comment on the racist terror attack.

On March 20, Jackson had been wandering the busy streets of New York City, building up momentum to kill. Surveillance cameras have him stalking a black man for a while before turning around to find a different victim.

At around 11:30 p.m., Caughman was reportedly rummaging through trash cans for recyclables when an 18-inch mini sword sliced through him.

Jackson, the assailant, cleaned up in a McDonald's nearby while Caughman managed to get to the local police station. An ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital, where Caughman died of his wounds, the New York Daily News reported.

The next day, sources said that Jackson went to the main branch of the New York Public Library to see if his attack had been covered in the media.

Shortly after, he walked into a nearby precinct and turned himself in.

"I’m the person you’re looking for," he said to the officers there.

Jackson admitted to killing Caughman and stated he had two knives on him at the moment. He also said he could direct officials to where he ditched the murder weapon, and openly claimed he had plenty of proof of his deeply-rooted racist sentiments on his computer -- which officials say they will seize and search once a warrant is granted.

William Aubry, assistant chief of the New York City Police Department, said: “The reason why he picked New York is ’cause it’s the media capital of the world. He wanted to make a statement.”

Jackson had admitted to having anti-black sentiments for over a decade, Aubry added.

Police have charged Jackson with murder, but are reportedly trying to add hate crime, as well. 

Sources: Elite Daily, The Washington Post, New York Daily News,The Independent / Photo credit: New York Daily News

Popular Video