President Donald Trump cut his conversation with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull short after arguing over a previous refugee agreement.
In what was supposed to be an hour-long conversation between the two world leaders, Trump blasted Turnbull and cut the conversation to 25 minutes, the Daily Mail reported.
Trump told Turnbull he had spoken with four other world leaders that day, including Russian President Vladimir Putin. He told Turnbull "this was the worst call by far." Trump also went on to boast about the significance of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials.
Turnbull reportedly tried to confirm whether the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center, The Washington Post reported. That pledge was made under the Obama administration, but Turnbull said Trump had agreed to honor it.
“This is the worst deal ever,” Trump told Turnbull during their Jan. 28 conversation, according to officials. The president lamented that he was "going to get killed" politically and went as far as accusing Australia of trying to export the "next Boston bombers."
Trump took to Twitter on Feb. 1 to address the matter.
“Do you believe it?" the president tweeted. "The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!”
According to White House accounts, the official readout of the conversation between Trump and Turnbull states that the two world leaders had “emphasized the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally.”
However, a senior administration official acknowledged that their conversation had become hostile and charged. The official also emphasized that Trump's conversations with other foreign leaders -- from Germany, Japan, France and Russia -- had been productive and pleasant.
Trump has also had a tense relationship with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto. The two leaders have been at odds over who will pay for Trump's wall to secure the border of the United States.
Trump said that American taxpayers will pay for the wall at first, and that the United States will be reimbursed by Mexico at a later date. However, Pena Nieto has repeatedly said that they will not pay for the wall, Fox News reported.