Skip to main content

Man Who Threatened Three U.S. Presidents Discovered Outside White House

  • Author:
  • Updated:

An Oklahoma man who said he wanted to be the “next John Hinckley” and made threats against Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama was arrested on Aug. 16 outside the White House gates.

Despite being placed in a halfway house and under travel restrictions back in Oklahoma, Archie Monroe Glass, Jr. made it to the nation’s capital and was stopped outside the White House gates by Secret Service agents, the New York Daily News reported.

The agents then made arrangements to transfer Glass to a mental health facility. He was already under the supervision of probation officials and mental health providers back in Oklahoma, according to NBC Washington.

U.S. marshals then took custody of Glass and he was taken to a Washington, D.C. jail. A bus ticket revealed that Glass had also traveled to D.C. in May. Glass reportedly admitted to the trip when speaking with the federal agents.

Glass served multiple federal prison sentences after threatening the lives of the last three presidents. He wrote a letter to Bush in 2008.

“Mr. President, I’m going to murder you very soon by shooting you in the head and will do the very same thing to the winner of the November Presidential election,” Glass allegedly wrote in a letter sent from a prison in El Reno, Oklahoma, in 2008.

Following this letter, Glass was sentenced to five years in a federal prison.

Glass also reportedly threatened to kill President Bill Clinton and his wife, Hillary.

In 1996, Glass was first charged with threatening a president, and a witness testifying against Glass said that he “wanted to get in the history books like Hinckley and wanted to shoot Bill Clinton and Hillary.”

Glass was also charged in 2001 and 2002 with threatening to assassinate a president and served a federal prison term, NBC Washington reported.

The El Reno prison that Glass’s 2008 letter was sent from is the same prison that President Obama visited just last month. Glass was in a halfway house at the time of Obama’s visit.

Glass is now back in Oklahoma, where he was taken into custody after an arrest warrant was filed on Tuesday, according to a Secret Service spokesperson who spoke to the New York Daily News. He is not allowed to leave Oklahoma without a court order, prosecutors noted.

Former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino said it’s highly unlikely for people who have made threats against a president’s life to come that close to the White House.

“People who make threats rarely get near the grounds,” Bongino said, according to NBC Washington. “The Secret Service does a very good job of catching up with these people before they make it near Washington. The Secret Service is very good at intercepting the football.”

Glass is expected in court on Sept. 8 in Oklahoma City for the latest violation.

Sources: NBC Washington, Daily Mail, New York Daily News

Photo Credit: Joppam, Matt Wade via Wikimedia Commons


Popular Video