North Korea has said that it may launch a preemptive nuclear strike against the United States. The threat was made on Thursday. It came hours before a vote at the United Nations to decide whether new sanctions will be leveled against the Communist nation for a recent nuclear test it conducted.
According to a spokesman for Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry, the North will exercise its right for "a preemptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors." North Korea seems to think that Washington wants to start a nuclear war.
There is probably not much to worry about at this point. North Korea is not thought to have mastered the ability to produce a warhead small enough to put on a missile capable of reaching the U.S., reports Fox News.
North Korea is apparently agitated over the possibility of sanctions as well as the upcoming U.S.-South Korean military drills. Tens of thousands of North Koreans protested the U.S.-South Korean war drills and probable sanctions during a large rally in Pyongyang on Thursday.
North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency carried the statement by the North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman. The statement said that new sanctions would only increase the chances that North Korea would fulfill its previous vows to take "powerful second and third countermeasures" against its enemies. It is not entirely clear what those measures would be.
That statement went on: "[North Korea] strongly warns the U.N. Security Council not to make another big blunder like the one in the past when it earned the inveterate grudge of the Korean nation by acting as a war servant for the U.S. in 1950."
Earlier this week, North Korea threatened to cancel the 1953 cease-fire that ended the Korean War.
Source: (Fox News)