During an interview with WBAY-TV, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said that his plan for Medicare is “the same if not identical” to Rep. Paul Ryan’s plan, which would turn Medicare into a voucher plan.
On Saturday, a Romney campaign memo said that Romney "will be putting together his own plan.”
But today Romney said he embraced the voucher idea in Ryan’s plan, in which seniors would use coupons to pay for part of their private health insurance coverage.
Romney said: “Actually, Paul Ryan and my plan for Medicare, I think, is the same if not identical, it’s probably close to identical. The only change I’d mention for 55 or older is we’d restore the $817 billion President Obama took out of the Medicare trust fund.”
The WBAY-TV reporter asked: “And you’re referring to that $716 billion estimate?”
“The $716 billion is what the president takes out of the Medicare trust fund to help pay for Obamacare. I think seniors will be outraged to learn money they put into medicare is going to be siphoned off.”
Romney failed to mention that the $716 billion taken from Medicare is being applied to senior care in Obamacare.
Romney also contradicted his own surrogate John Sununu, who angrily said earlier this week that Romney's medicare plan was not like Rep. Ryan's medicare plan.